Tuesday 3 July 2018

Keto Sweet and Sour Turmeric Fridge Pickles

I love pickles so much. I'd happily eat them every day at every meal. I made 2 big jars and gave one to my dad. I wish I had kept both now, they are so delicious


INGREDIENTS
  • 1 kg of mixed vegetables for pickling, cut into bite sized pieces. I used cauliflower, carrot, cucumbers, zucchini and daikon.
  • 50 g salt


BRINE
  • 3 c white vinegar or ACV
  • 2 c water
  • 6 T natvia
  • 1.5 T salt


SPICE MIX
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 t cumin seed
  • 1/2 t coriander seed
  • 1/2 t black mustard seed
  • 1/2 t chilli flakes
  • 1 t pepper corns
  • 4 cloves
  • 4 t turmeric powder
METHOD

Salt your chosen vegetables and evenly distribute it throughout then set the vegetables aside in the fridge for 24 hours.

The next day, dry toast your spice mix excluding the turmeric powder *OPTIONAL*

Sterilise your jars, I ran mine through the dishwasher. Mix the spice mix and turmeric together and evenly split between your jars. Get your salted vegetables and put in a strainer. Rinse well to remove the excess salt and pack firmly into jars.

Heat your brine mix until at a simmer. let cool so it's not so hot it will crack your jars, then pour into the jars, leaving a little headspace. Seal and when cool enough, store in the fridge. Invert the jar every now and then to mix the spices through along with the turmeric. It's ready to eat in 3 days, but better if you can leave it for a few weeks. This is a fridge pickle and as it has not been processed, it is not suitable to store in the cupboard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Almond and Pumpkin Slice

As requested by my friend Cattie, here is the recipe for this handy, dandy slice. It's easy to throw together, super moist with a tend...